Thursday, June 4, 2009

2009-06-03 Way Down South in Dixie Caverns

Dateline Dixie Caverns, VA
Lat 37.2461
Long -80.1764



After several months shaking down the camper, it has been suggested that it needs a name. I'm kind of leaning towards Serenity. Those of you who know the movie and short-lived TV series on which it was based upon would probably appreciate the reference. Those who don't may think it is just a Zen kind of thing. And you would both be correct.



Shelby and I retraced the western route out of Virginia for the third time in a year, and our first stop was the kitschy Dixie Caverns, an all-encompassing slice of Americana offering a campground, gift shop and the only above ground cavern in the state. That's correct, you go up as you enter the caverns.

Talk about your triple threat.

The campground spaces are a little on the tight side, offering very limited options for Shelby to be outside, but we improvise. Right now it's raining and I'm enjoying the first great WiFi access in a while as she naps. I'm going to take the cavern tour while I have this window of time. It lasts a little less than 45 minutes. (The tour, not the nap.) If no further updates occur on the blog after a couple weeks look for me Dixie Caverns gift shop and Antique Mall.




Last evening, we were invited down to funky Floyd, VA, home of the FloydFest and Fandango Beer and Wine Fest held on the nearby Blue Ridge Parkway for dinner with three ladies who are involved with the Renaissance Fair Industry. I had no idea until the Google showed me that there are lots of these Fairs going on pretty much all the time.

I guess Rennies are the Nerd cousins of Carnies, and overall have more teeth.

No comments: