Wednesday, February 4, 2009

2009-02-04 Cold Preparations


Dateline Richmond, VA

It's been a couple days since I updated the blog. I've been busy getting stuff squared away in storage and pulling stuff from storage that will be useful in the camper.

I'm also about halfway through reading "Travels with Charley" again, fascinated by the things Mr. Steinbeck pioneered. From the whole camper concept to his ingenious bucket method of washing clothes, he innovated a lot of things people take for granted today.

In the absence of having a trip-related photo to post, I'm submitting one of my Son in Law's new office, the Supercarrier USS Ronald Reagan. This shows it in the "Man at Rail" configuration, with the crew lining the rail as it pays it's respects at the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor.

While I am very proud of him and his new job on the world's largest machine, there is a chance I may be able to join him on it for a 5-day cruise back from Hawaii to San Diego in October of this year. Each year when it returns from deployment, the Navy books several commercial airliners and offer crew members the option of flying home early. Apparently, they never have trouble getting enough volunteers for this.

Family members of the crew are then invited to join in on their "Tiger Cruise" and experience life on a Super Carrier for what must be an amazing five days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this comes to pass.

No comments: