Wednesday, February 18, 2009

2009-02-13 We got the goods

Dateline Richmond, VA

A couple days after my previous whiny blog about Best Buy and everything "being on the truck", I went back over to see for myself if the proverbial truck had arrived.

To my surprise, it had.

So I went to town and splurged on a couple nice things to add to the camper for the trip, starting with:

A Toshiba 19" LCD HD/DVD Combo



The camper is "cable ready", but I figured that there really would not be many opportunities to plug in to someone else's cable on this trip, so I opted for a Digital TV / DVD combo unit to be able to watch movies as time permits. The day after I got this I read an article that rabbit ears (antennas, for you youngsters) were making a comeback in the new post-analog TV era, with many people reverting back to these to take advantage of the crystal-clear digital TV offered free over the airwaves. The camper has an antenna on top and we will see what kind of reception this affords.

Next up was to replace the funky (and broken) old CD/Radio built in to the unit.


So I picked up the Pioneer DEH-1100MP. This is a digital radio with a CD player capable of playing regular and MP3 CD's, plus has the all-important MP3 input on its front panel. Having exploited some of the great deals offered on woot.com during the past several months, I now have five Sansa MP3 players, 2 each of the 1gb model and 3 of the 4gb model. All have built-in radios and the big ones also play videos. Total cost on all five units togeter: $90usd. Really. The big units were originally around $250usd. I can't say enough good things about woot.com so will just give it a big old Woot and recommend it.



Of course that fine new Pioneer CD/Radio wouldn't sound great through the crappy old speakers currently installed in the camper, so I picked up two pairs of Alpine 5-1/4" Type-S Speakers. They sounded fantastic even in the store and had both good bass as well as a decent high-end. At least enough for these ears.

I happily trotted all of these out to RV Services of VA on Friday and handed them off to Wendell, who assured he would get to them "next week".

See the next post for the real electronic score.

No comments: