Tuesday, February 10, 2009

2009-02-10 Best Buy, If You Can


Dateline Richmond, VA

I have spent a lot of time thinking of what things I need to acquire for the camper for the road trip, beyond the standard stuff one carries.

This list includes a LCD TV/DVD combo, a replacement stereo with four speakers, a video camera, and a new notebook computer. All things one could, in theory, buy at a store like Best Buy.

I've made several recon missions to Best Buy over the previous few months, scoping out possible candidates, and then researching them. But it wasn't until last night that I actually was able to locate a knowledgeable sales associate in each department who actually knew the products and seemed to enjoy talking about them. The added bonus was that the store was empty of customers, so I had each of them relatively undistracted.

In each case, I told them my criteria and requirements, and we soon found the ideal model for my needs. And with each separate case we ran into the exact same problem: they didn't actually have that particular model on hand. In three cases it was "on the truck" and I should check back in "probably like 3 or 4 days".

In the case of the car stereo, there was a model replacing the one we had chosen, which was only 30% more expensive, but also included an iPod cable. Even then, the higher priced model was not "out yet". It was somewhere between "on the truck" and "where it could be carried to a register".

So I left empty-handed, despite having the budget and intentions of spending a good chunk of change.

I actually considered that visit to Best Buy a good experience, despite the outcome.

It was fun talking with the sales guys, who knew an awful lot about the products that they didn't even have for sale.

If I can get them delivered quickly enough, I may order them online, otherwise I will make due and improvise.

No comments: